How To Apply

Apply In Person

Applications can be submitted Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  We have an outdoor drop box for after-hours submissions, the applications will be dated the next business day.

Emergency Assistance and certain Cash Assistance programs, [Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) and Divisionary Work Program (DWP), both family cash programs] typically require a face-to-face interview. Interviews for food and some cash programs can be conducted as a scheduled interview over the telephone. Health care does not require an interview.

Apply Online

MNbenefits is a simple, secure web application that connects you with state and county services to help meet you and your family's basic needs. You can use MNbenefits to apply for cash, food, childcare and emergency assistance, Emergency assistance help gives aid to a family with an emergency such as an eviction or utility disconnect. Contact the county office where you live for more information on possible emergency help.

Print an Application

Download the MNbenefits Combined Application (PDF)

After you complete a printed application, you can mail it or drop off at our office.  We have an outdoor drop box for after-hours submissions, the applications will be dated the next business day.

Chippewa County Family Services

719 N. 7th Street, Suite 200

Montevideo, MN 56265-1391

Apply for Health Care

Inquire at the MNsure website. If you are 65 or older, certified disabled through Social Security Administration, or are receiving Medicare, please contact our county office for the appropriate application.

  1. Family Services

    Physical Address
    719 N Seventh Street
    Suite 200
    Montevideo, MN 56265

    Fax: 320-269-6405

NO ENGLISH  download(320) 269-6401

(877) 450-6401

  1. Notice of Change
  2. Aviso De Cambio
  3.  Esinesin Ren Ekkesiwin

Effective:  February 5, 2024

If applying for benefits/services using a FOREIGN PASSPORT, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is strongly encouraging people to provide a U.S. Government-issued enumerator with a foreign passport enumerator, whenever possible.

This will help to improve the quality and accuracy of Department of Homeland Security (DHS) responses when using a foreign passport.  

All applicants/enrollees should be prepared to provide the additional U.S. Government-issued enumerator:

  • Alien/USCIS Number
  • Card Number/I-797 Receipt Number
  • I-94 Number