What is the process for getting a tenant evicted from my rental property?

To evict a tenant for violation of the terms of a lease the landlord must go to the Chippewa County Court Administrator to get an Eviction Summons and Eviction Complaint in Unlawful Detainer issued. From there the following proceedings will occur:

  1. The Sheriff, or private process server, will serve the Eviction Summons and Unlawful Detainer upon all tenants listed at the property.
  2. A court date is set approximately 14 days later allowing the tenant and the landlord to give their statements to the court.
  3. The court will issue a decision whether or not the tenant should be evicted.
  4. If the court decides in favor of the landlord and the person still does not move out, the landlord must have the court issue a Writ of Restitution and the Sheriff must serve this on the tenant.
  5. 24 hours after the Writ of Restitution has been served the Sheriff and the landlord can remove the tenant.
  6. If needed the landlord must safely keep the tenants property.

Show All Answers

1. How do I get a Permit to Purchase handgun?
2. How do I get a Permit to Carry?
3. How can I get a copy of a Sheriff’s report or accident report?
4. How do I pick up recovered stolen property?
5. How old do I have to be to operate a motorboat or personal watercraft?
6. What can I do if I have problems with snowmobilers trespassing on my property?
7. What does the Sheriff's office charge to serve a civil process?
8. Does the Sheriff serve all civil process papers?
9. What is the process for getting a tenant evicted from my rental property?
10. When do I call 911?
11. When do I call the Sheriff's Department?
12. What happens if I call 911 from my cell phone?
13. What is there to know about the Drug Abuse Resistance Education Program?
14. Who do I call if I have information on a crime?
15. What are the jail visiting hours?
16. What is the "Huber Law"?
17. Who would I contact if I had information about some suspected drug activity?
18. Why does the court issue a warrant?
19. How can I contact a deputy who handled my complaint?
20. What is "Sentence to Service"?
21. Does Chippewa County prosecute worthless checks?
22. What do I do if I receive a worthless check and want to have it prosecuted?
23. What type of worthless checks are not considered criminal and cannot be prosecuted?